New Exhaust Noise Inspector from Bruel & Kjaer.
A new all-in-one Exhaust Noise Inspector system has
been introduced to the marketplace by leading global
noise and vibration manufacturers Brüel & Kjær.
The development of the system by the company comes in light
of the Directive on Motor Vehicles 70/157/EEC "permissible
sound level and exhaust system of motor vehicles" testing and
the ISO working draft 5130:2002 test procedures which has
been implemented by many European countries to make
checks on vehicles in use.
The new Exhaust Noise Inspector Type 3638 system is an easy
to use sound level measurement system designed for automatic
measurements of exterior exhaust noise from cars, motorbikes,
lorries and mopeds under stationery conditions (engine sweep test),
simultaneously with (non-contact) RPM detection.
Primarily of use to local authorities and local police inspectors
who will appreciate the ergonomics of the system, allowing
measurements of vehicles in use to be performed by one single
operator, as well as determining variations in the exhaust sound
level which can result from:
* The wear, maladjustment or modification of particular components
when the defect does not appear by visual inspection; or
* The partial of complete removal of devices reducing the emission
of certain sound levels
Exhaust Noise Inspector Type 3638 uses a unique calculator and
algorithm to allow the noise level and the engine RPM to be
measured with the same microphone. Non-contact measurements
of the engine RPM by computation from the acoustic signal of the
exhaust noise (no need to open the engine compartment), complete
with instantaneous reports can be achieved. A large display with
all necessary information and the additional green and red lights
allow extremely simple and quick measurements, making it the
easiest system on the market to operate.
Uses of Type 3638:
* Measurement of exterior exhaust sound level from motorbikes,
cars, lorries and mopeds under stationery conditions (engine
* Non-contact measurements of engine RPM by computing the
engine speed from the acoustic signal of the exhaust noise.
* Allows totally non-invasive tests of vehicles - the engine bonnet
or compartment cover does not need to be opened.
* Acoustic detection of engine RPM for 2- and 4- stroke engines,
petrol and diesel, from 1 to 12 cylinders
* Suitable for use by a single operator - a dedicated computer
manages the complete measurement sequence.
* All-in-one suitcase. It can be carried easily on a motorcycle,
for use by motorcycle police.
* Intuitive setup menu for measurement configuration and
engine type, via 4 keys
* Remote control of the SLM, the setup, auto-range and measurements.
* Simultaneous measurement and display of sound level and
* Red and green lights indicator for throttle control setup.
For more information, please contact :-
Bruel & Kjaer UK Ltd.
Bedford House, Rutherford, Close, Stevenage, Herts. SG1 2ND. UK
Tel: +44(0) 1438 739000, Fax: +44(0) 1438 739099